The Catholic Eparchy of Emdibir was erected by Pope John Paul II’s Decree “Ad Universa Incrementum” of November 25, 2003 with
territories detached from the Archdiocese of Addis Ababa. The first Eparch appointed is H.E Abune Musie Ghebreghioghis, OFM, Cap. An Apostolic Prefecture of Emdibir had previously been established with territories detached from the Apostolic Vicariate of Harar on February 13, 1940. The first prefects Apostolic elect Federico Baldassari of Baselga, OFM Cap from the Capuchin Province of Trento never succeeded to enter Ethiopia because of the war.
The Eparchy of Emdibir comprises the whole Guraghe Zone of the Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples Region (SNNPR), and Woliso Zone of the Oromiya Regional state.